Saturday 2 February 2013

My Sailor's Gone To Sea

So my sailor is going to sea. She left this morning and took my heart with her. For the initial training period, they allow barely any contact with family and friends. The last thing I have left is one phone call they allow her tomorrow night, to let me know she arrived safely. I can't wait and I'm dreading it at the same time. It means so many things, it means that she did get there safely and alright but it also means it's the last time they're going to let her talk to me for a whole month.

I would be more okay if she came home after the month, it'd be nothing - but even after that first month is over, they only get weekend leave sometimes and it's at the discretion of their officers. If she has a speck of dust on her shoes one time in week two, they might extend the initial training period a whole week. And if she's working the first weekend when leave is granted, she won't be able to come see me. It's not like it's a whole month and then everything's okay, it's a whole month of no contact and then chaos as to anything that will happen.

I don't know how to deal with not knowing when my girl is going to come back to me. If they'll even let her. I think that's the bit that troubles me the most - is that they can keep her away from me if they feel like it for any number of obscure reasons. I know the Navy in Australia doesn't have a Don't Ask, Don't Tell policy, but I have no idea to what degree they are homophobic. It's just another issue in a giant cloud of issues that are all unresolved and have no way of being resolved any time soon.

I just want my girl to come home to me in one piece.

No comments:

Post a Comment